I don’t know very many people who are absolutely crazy about microwaveable, prepackaged oatmeal. And yet, it continues to be a go-to breakfast choice in our house. Mostly for the fact that it’s filling, quick to make, and cheap to buy.
When I stumbled upon someone talking about just how easy it is to make your own yummy oatmeal that’s actually baked, and without all the yucky preservatives, I was definitely interested. And what better time to experiment when I had an entire carton of yummy blueberries on hand!
Craig and I definitely considered this simple recipe a win! Not only was it incredibly easy to make and yummy to eat, but it also became breakfast for the entire week. Every morning, just spoon yourself some, nuke it in the microwave for 30 seconds, and you’re good to go!
Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Recipe
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg – beaten
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter – melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas – peeled and sliced
- 1 cup blueberries (can also substitute your choice of berry)
- *Optional – 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and walnuts. Stir together.
- In another bowl, combine the syrup, milk, egg, butter, and vanilla.
- Spread sliced banana pieces in a single layer over the bottom of the cake pan. Top with half of the berries.
- Evenly sprinkle the dry oat mixture over the fruit, and pour the liquid ingredients over the oats.
- Sprinkle the last of the nuts and berries over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the oats are set and are starting to brown. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.